A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, gives you an added layer of security and privacy when you connect to the internet. A VPN allows you to use the internet in a private manner by passing all of your traffic through a remote location that can not be traced back to you. Millions of people have started to use VPN services in order to bypass country blocks, mask their personal IP addresses, and generally block their internet activity from being logged.
A good VPN service will do multiple things for you. When looking for the best VPN company you’ll want to ask the following:
- 1. Does the company keep any logs? The best VPN providers won’t keep any logs of your activity whatsoever. Part of a VPN being private is making sure that there is no activity that can be tracked to your personal IP address
- 2. What country do they operate from? Different countries have different rules and regulations regarding what information must be logged/saved.
- 3. Do they monitor traffic? Simply put, you want a VPN company that won’t monitor individual traffic. Part of using a VPN is making sure that your traffic isn’t shown or saved anywhere.
- 4. Are there any bandwidth restrictions? A good VPN company won’t have any bandwidth restrictions. This is especially important for people who want to use a VPN to use Netflix or other bandwidth intensive services. You don’t want to be shut down in the middle of watching your favorite movie.
- 5. Can I connect multiple devices at the same time? This is for those of you who will be using your VPN account on multiple devices. You don’t want to have to go through the hassle of disconnecting your computer before connecting to your tablet or smartphone.
There are, of course, more questions that you may want to ask depending on how you plan to use the VPN, but these are good general starting questions for anyone. Based on these, and based on our extensive testing, our VPN recommendations can be found below.
Visit VPNVantage.com VPNVantage provides everything you’d need in a VPN company and they do it at a cheaper price than most. They are based in the U.S. which means they have no traffic log requirements. They also don’t have any bandwidth restrictions so you won’t have to worry about staying under a certain amount of traffic. Their VPN service is the cheapest we’ve found at only $2.95/month. for a 1 year commitment. They don’t have as large of a VPN network as some other companies which is most likely the reason for why their service is less expensive.
Visit TorGuard.net TorGuard is pretty significantly more expensive than other VPN options, but they do have a huge network of servers for you to choose from. They also have a variety of other services, including private email and an anonymous proxy that you can choose from. Their VPN service is similar to VPNVantage in that they allow up to 5 connections, have unlimited bandwidth, and 24/7 support. Their VPN prices start at $9.99/month
Visit IPVanish.com IPVanish, like TorGuard, has an extensive server network, which makes them one of the more expensive options as far as VPN services go. Their number of servers leave you with no shortage with choices, and gives you the ability to switch on the fly if you’re experiencing issues with one of the servers. IPVanish only allows 3 connections at any given time, so if you want to connect more devices than that you will have to disconnect others, first. This can prove to be a bit of a hassle, especially if those connected devices aren’t nearby. Still, IPVanish offers a good, reliable VPN service, and being based in the U.S. allows them to not have to keep any logs whatsoever. Their VPN services start at $6.49/month with a 1 year commitment.